Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy New Year and Here's to Learning New Things




What better way to start the New Year than learning something new. This past fall I have had the privilege of working with one of our areas most creative artists, Kathryn Carthwright. Many of you may know her by her "All Cracked Up" eggshell series. Kathy has opened some very important doors for me and has helped me to fill in the gaps of being a self taught artist. These gaps are basic art foundations that i feel will allow me to really improve my artwork vs. having self imposed limitations because of my lack of knowledge. Being an intuitive painter most of my life, which many people might agree is very freeing, I found just the opposite was true. By having the basic knowledge of the principle elements of design I am ecstatic with the thought of what i can create. So, i have posted here two of my first value paintings. They are near ready to begin adding color and I can only imagine what they may become. I hope to post the final works as soon as they are ready! Stay tuned!!
p.s. for some really great art discussions visit Kathy's blog at http://k-cartwright.blogspot.com/


5 comments:

  1. Nice work. I look forward to seeing these evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn, Ohhhhh... these are progressing very nicely! I can sense your excitement, and appreciate how far you've traveled to get to this place. The sky's the limit, and I like your enthusiasm and creative urge to keep going! Thanks so much for the nod, and I'm happy to see that you're posting your work. See you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful Carolyn- even without color. I'm in a very similar situation to what you've described- although at a much earlier stage- and share your insight that learning more will only progress your art to a new level. Congratulations on your awesome journey! I look forward to seeing you continue to evolve. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never considered doing a value painting for an abstract. I can see it for a traditional one, so you have rattled my perspective and I look forward to seeing your end results in due course.

    Wishing you all the best for 2010.
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. It's a journey we can all take together since this is a first for me.! May your new year be filled with art and peace.

    ReplyDelete